Thursday 20 June 2013

True love, South Korean style: UPDATE

So, in case it wasn't apparent from Part 1 (Part 1) I am totally, totally, totally obsessed with love matchers. I beat my spotting record on Sunday, taking snaps of 6 loved up 6 in 20 minutes. That is one spot every three and a half minutes!!! I have included below a selection of the goodness that is currently on the streets of Seoul (more on Instagram). 

The winning couple so far!!!














The monsoon season has now officially arrived in Korea and I expect that this will bring new challenges to couples who favour matching footwear - sneakers are not really the go in pouring rain. I have already spotted matching Birkenstock sandals (see below) and am now desperately seeking matching gumboots, preferably hot pink!!!!


As a result of the last few weeks of same same spotting, I have some additional questions to add to those raised in Part 1 (now I just need to actually ask these questions to the loved up Koreans on the street). 

1. What if you go out as part of a group yet the guy you are with chooses not to dress the same as you but another guy in the group, who is clearly not your boyfriend (in fact you appear to not even like him) is dressed the same as you? What do you do?


Not the best photo but from my observation, red t-shirt girl was clearly with green t-shirt boy. Awkward?
2. What if when you are out with your matching friend you have a massive fight which could even be a total break-up with one half abandoning the other mid-outing? walks off? Should you remove your love match outfit (in this case it was the entire outfit) on the spot or do you have a defined amount of time in which to retreat? (Note to loved up Koreans - please stick together if in love match apparel as it makes it really difficult for me to discreetly take a photo).   



Are they together?
getting closer...
Finally, hand on shoulder!
3. Parent/child scenario: is it the parent choosing the same shoes as child or child choosing the same shoes as the parent?  What if the whole family decides to dress the same? I have no picture for this but I have heard about it. 





4. Is there a certain significance to an older couple participating in love match?  Are they recently dating, long time married or just been shopping together? 






Interestingly, I believe I saw a western couple partaking in this phenomenon the other day. Maybe love match, like k-pop, is becoming totally cool outside of Korea. To test the theory that love match is completely expected and not at all weird, I am working on convincing Dutch friends (married couple also with three children) that they should leave the house in matching gear (which will most likely be orange) and see if they receive any undue attention. I say no - it will be perfectly acceptable to all and no-one will even blink!



Soul to Seoul: keep the soles of love coming people!

1 comment:

  1. I had some female Korean friends in the late-40's bracket, and they loooooved the couple outfits but their husbands weren't such fans. The compromise? Couple outfits on all overseas vacations.

    My favourite were the striped, boat-neck, 3/4 sleeved ensembles in 5 different stripe colours (all on white, of course) for every day in Italy.

    In love? Clearly - check. Thematic? Check. Been planning this outpouring of forced, couple-outfit wearing for some time? Check. Check. CHECK!

    ReplyDelete